Lace Fan Tutorial

August 31, 2009

A great way to complete an elegant outfit is using a fan, which has an added bonus: it can help you cool yourself. So here's how you can create your own fashion-statement fan!


This is what you need:
*an old/cheep fan that you can use for the frame (unless you can find empty fan-ribs). I'm talking about this kind (it doesn't matter what drawing it has on it, the less you like it, the better):

(I didn't actually use that fan because I love the poppies on it - I had a torn one laying around)
Now, all you need to do is to carefully remove the painted paper/fabric. But remember to keep it as pattern reference for the new fabric. And also keep the top lace.
*lace or whatever material you want to use. Keep in mind that you might also need a layer of tulle in case the lace is too soft or stretchy.
*super-glue or hot-glue. I used Kraftkleber (Power Glue) from Herlitz. Avoid Picatura. Apparently it doesn't work on the fabric-plastic/wood combination. Or at least it didn't work for me. 
*tissues (but I used toilet paper because the small detachable pieces were more practical than large napkins). These come in handy if the glue is "runny" (and mine was...it kept dripping everywhere until I got the hag of it)
*scissors (preferably about the length of the fan-ribs)
*pins
*needle and thread and whatever else you may want to add to your fan.

Here's how to make it:
First, I got my empty fan-ribs and the striped organza I'm going to use. The organza is sewn onto a layer of black tulle and has pinned to it the top lace that I have removed from the original fan.

After sewing the top lace to the fabric, I'll start gluing it. First, you should glue the sides. Those also go folded in 2 (observe your original fan before taking it's fabric off). Apply a generous amount of glue on the plastic/wood rib and press the material against it. You can use your scissors' blade for pressure: 

After gluing the first side, do the following trick to be able to glue the other side as well: lay the fan on a flat surface with the fabric that you just glued facing downwards. Place the other ribs on top of it and then twist the material to be able to glue the pre-fold side. This is easier than trying to hold the fold with your hand and stick it already folded. (Follow the line of the top lace to be able to see the shape of the twist better)

After you have both sides glued, lay your fan on a flat surface again and divide the ribs as even as you can. Then pin each of them into place (Mine didn't come out very even...) 

Then start gluing each of them. This takes patience. Remove the pin and pull the rib to the side. Be careful to start on the side where you can pull the rib from underneath, this way you'll be able to put glue on it and then place it back to it's position without staining the fabric. As you can see in the picture above, the first rib to glue was the one on the left as it was free to slide down beyond the wide side rib. (And be careful to put the glue on the right side).

After you're done with all of them, you can decorate your fan however you want. Just be careful not to choose accessories that are too heavy and that might break the ribs. It's also a good idea to run a thread around the fabric and rib a couple of times if you put any decoration there. I have put small black satin roses and black chains on mine. (It looks somewhat steampunkish, doesn't it?)

And don't be afraid to experiment with fabrics! You may choose something wacky and unexpected (For example, I have a project for a future fan made with tartan fabric and black bows, perhaps even chains or buttons). Or you can try something even more elegant, like using damask or lace overlaid on contrasting satin. You may also try to apply decorations on the side ribs (the wide ones) or some big bow on the hook. But don't forget to tie your fan with a ribbon when keeping it closed. This will help it keep in shape and prevent it from opening and breaking when you carry it in your purse. (I tied mine with a black organza ribbon to match)

I hope you find this tutorial helpful! And now that you know how to make yourself a pretty fan, here is how to use it as well:

 The Language of the Fan
*Resting the fan on your lips = I don't trust you
*Touching your eye with the closed fan = When may I see you?
*Finger on the tip of the fan = I wish to speak to you
*Fanning yourself with your left hand = Don't flirt with that woman
*Slowly fanning yourself = I don't care
*Quickly fanning yourself = I love you
*Twirling in the right hand = I love another
*Moving your hair away from your forehead = Don't forget me
*Passing the fan from a hand to the other = I see that you are looking at another woman
*Hitting your hand's palm = Love me
*Carrying the fan closed, hanging from the left hand = I'm engaged
*Carrying the fan closed, hanging from the right hand = I want to be engaged
*Quickly and impetuously closing the fan = I'm jealous 
*Resting the fan on your heart = My love for you is breaking my heart
*Half-opening the fan over your face = We are being watched 
*Half-opened fan over the lips = You may kiss me
*Hitting an object =  I'm impatient
*Hiding the sunlight = I don't like you
*Looking closely at the painting = I like you
*Hands clasped together holding a fan = Forgive me
*Covering the left ear with an open fan = Don't betray our secret
*Resting the fan on the left cheek = No
*Resting the fan on the right cheek = Yes

So ladies, start practicing! And if you make yourself a fan by my "recipe", please show me a photo :) 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Fantastic tutorial! (Ooooops, I think I made a pun there. lol) Thank you, I will definitely have a go at this and the information on the language is fascinating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes... fan-tastic *giggle* If you do, remember to share some photos :D

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Advertise

press

About Me